Wednesday 6 January 2010

Psalm 23-- The Voice Bible Translation

''The Eternal One is my Shepherd, He cares for me always.
He provides me rest in rich, green fields
besides streams of refreshing water.
He soothes my fears;
He makes me whole again,
steering me off worn, hard paths to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name.

Even in the unending shadow of death's darkness,
I am not overcome by fear.
Because You are with me in those dark moments,
near with Your protection and guidance,
I am comforted.
You spread out a table for me,
provisions in the midst of attack from my enemies;
You care for all my needs. anointing my head with soothing, fragrant oil,
filling my cup again and again with Your grace.
Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me,
where I go, always, everywhere.
I will always be with the Eternal One,
in Your house forever."

I find I've been fighting discouragement since New Years. Maybe it's that let down after the holidays. Maybe it's the darkness of the Swedish winter playing havoc on my emotions. Maybe it's loneliness.

I wouldn't say I'm hopeless, just kind of... unhopeful. And it's really starting to get to me. This dissatisfaction. This sort of oppression of my spirit. I'm made for joy. It's even in my name ;) But I'm struggling to see anything through His eyes of hope and expectation at the minute. And I don't have a reason or a name for it. Just general dissatisfaction...

Whenever the roommate's out, I play my worship music LOUD, singing along even though I suspect the neighbours get an earful. THIS song has been an especially poignant one for me this week... again, I don't know why. It just holds my heart and when I sing along, the words come from my soul.... I think worshipping in song is my prayer language...



"I'll say goodbye to my father, my mother
I'll turn my back on every other lover
And I'll press on, yes I'll press on.
For I am in love with You
And there is no cost
I am in love with You
And there is no loss
I am in love with You
I wanna take Your name
I am in love with You
And I wanna cling to You, Jesus
Just let me cling to You, Jesus..."

Yes, Lord.
God, fill in the cracks in my faith, stand in the gaps in my trust.
I wanna cling to You...

2 comments:

Phil said...

Wow, I can completely relate to this post. I like the way you worded how you felt--"not hopeless but...unhopeful". I have definitely been in that type of place before myself. It can be so easy to take our eyes off Him and put them on everything that we don't have, everything that is not happening (that we wish was happening), and everything that we haven't yet become. I have learned that all of it boils down to one word: TRUST. God expects us to trust Him, no matter what. It's a deceptively simple thing to do. This post struck a chord in me. Thanks for sharing.

-- Phil @ Psalm 23 Central

Phil said...

Wow, I can completely relate to this post. I like the way you worded how you felt--"not hopeless but...unhopeful". I have definitely been in that type of place before myself. It can be so easy to take our eyes off Him and put them on everything that we don't have, everything that is not happening (that we wish was happening), and everything that we haven't yet become. I have learned that all of it boils down to one word: TRUST. God expects us to trust Him, no matter what. It's a deceptively simple thing to do. This post struck a chord in me. Thanks for sharing.

-- Phil @ Psalm 23 Central

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...